W Mumford Ltd
The well-known coachbuilding concern of W. Mumford Ltd, late of. St. Andrew’s Street, Plymouth, was able to record a war-time effort of which it may well feel proud.
In 1934 Clarence Mumford became the managing director of W Mumford.
Quite early on in the war the company was approached by the Ministry of supply in connection with the reconditioning of engines of Army lorries and utility vehicles, and a complete floor at the Abbey Garage of the concern was given over to this work. At a later date, landing-craft engines were also dealt with.
At the Billacombe coachbuilding factory, work on aircraft was undertaken, the initial contract being for Westland Whirlwind Fighter rear fuselage assemblies.
The whole of the Billacombe factory worked to capacity on Ministry of Aircraft Production contracts, the components supplied ranging from detail parts to major assemblies, such as fuselage and tail planes, for no fewer than 15 different types of aircraft. Aircraft repair work was also carried out, a total of 104 badly damaged machines being made as good as new, air tested by the company’s own pilot, and returned to the R.A.F.
Some idea of the effort put forward from 1940 to December, 1944, is conveyed by the following figures; Major components produced for aircraft, 48,800; detail sheet-metal parts, 110,000; machined detail parts, 108,700, major components of aircraft repaired, 1,100.
Chassis repairs to commercial vehicles, a Tyre section for carrying out re-treading, the conversion of vehicles for use as Civil Defence ambulances, and the building and conducting of a special engine test house, form some of the other contributions made to the successful prosecution of the war.
For further information have a look at these websites